Gutte Eriksen was born in Rødby on the island of Lolland in Denmark in 1918. She studied at the Kunsthåndvaerkskolen in Copenhagen from 1936 to 1939. In 1941, she set up a studio with two other artists in Hareskov; in 1948, she spent two months working with Bernard Leach in St Ives, and later that year she worked in France with Pierre Lion and Vassil Ivanoff. From 1953 she worked in her studio at Karlsminde. She visited Japan to work with other potters in 1970 and 1973.
Eriksen influenced a generation of Danish potters with both her work and teaching. She taught at the Jutland Academy of Fine Arts in Arhus from 1968-71, 1973-4 and 1976-8. Her public commissions include fountains in Østre Landsret and Holstebro. In 1972, she won the Gold Medal in Faenza and was awarded the Thorvald Bindesbøll Medal of the Danish Academy of Fine Arts in 1985. In 2000, she was given The Prince Eugen Medal, awarded by the Swedish Royal Family for outstanding artistic achievement. She was honoured with a major retrospective at the Vejen Kunstmuseum in 2001. Gutte Eriksen died in 2008.